Holiday Safety

We are into high gear for the holiday season. Preparing for holiday parties, get-togethers and family dinners. All the celebrations and fun will be upended if safety isn’t the highest consideration.

Holiday cooking. Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and injuries. Set timers, supervise kids in the kitchen and be sure everyone is aware of hot surfaces or hot equipment. Use timers that continue to alert after the set time has been reached.

Christmas trees. Fresh trees and wreaths should be monitored for freshness and never allowed to dry out. Water trees daily and check for freshness by touching the needles for subtleness. Remove away from your house any trees or natural greenery that has dried out.

Candles. Place candles in a non-flammable holder. Never burn candles near anything flammable. Once lit and burning do not move the candle without extinguishing it first. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Do not leave an empty room with a burning candle.

Fireplaces. Have your chimney checked for creosote buildup and cleaned if needed. Always have a screen in front of burning logs, both wood or gas. Keep a window cracked open for fresh air and ventilation. Keep children away from the fireplace. Remember embers can remain hot without smoking or glowing.
Make safety in your home #1 on your holiday list this year.